In The Know
Did you know?
emBOLDen Alliances is an Endorser of the Charter4Change, an initiative led by both national and international NGOs to practically implement changes to the way the Humanitarian System operates to enable more locally-led response.
Following on the World Humanitarian Summit Committing to deliver change so that southern-based national actors play an increased and more prominent role in humanitarian response.
8-point Charter for Change:
1. Increase direct funding to southern-based NGOs for humanitarian action: only 0.2% of humanitarian aid is channeled directly to national non-government actors (NGOs and CSOs) for humanitarian work. 2. Reaffirm the Principles of Partnership: including, Equality, Transparency, Results-Oriented Approach, Responsibility and Complementarity 3. Increase transparency around resource transfers to southern-based national and local NGOs: needed in order to build trust, accountability and efficiency of investments. 4. Stop undermining local capacity 5. Emphasize the importance of national actors 6. Address subcontracting 7. Robust organizational support and capacity strengthening: support local actors to become robust organizations that continuously improve their role and share in the overall global humanitarian response. 8. Communication to the media and the public about partners: promote the role of local actors and acknowledge the work that they carry out.
Funding for Types of Disasters
The largest funding pool is dedicated to natural disasters. This can significantly adversely affect complex emergencies and others.
“Measuring the State of Disaster Philanthropy 2018,“ Foundation Center and the Center for Disaster Philanthropy.
Core Humanitarian Standards
The Core Humanitarian Standard on Quality and Accountability sets out NINE commitments that organizations and individuals involved in humanitarian response can use to improve the quality and effectiveness of assistance.
- These place communities and people affected by crisis at the centre of humanitarian action.
- Describe the essential elements of principled, accountable and high-quality humanitarian aid.
- Is voluntary and measurable.
- Resulted from a global consultation process, drawing together key elements of existing humanitarian standards and commitments.
Relief vs Preparedness
The largest funding pool is dedicated to response and relief. This can leave preparedness, risk reduction and reconstruction behind. ““Measuring the State of Disaster Philanthropy 2017: Data to Drive Decisions,” Foundation Center and the Center for Disaster Philanthropy.