1:40 — Watch, Donate, Share:
(click on the photo to watch)
What does your donation do?
Read firsthand from our partner in Uganda:
“We appreciated not only the outcomes of these activities, but we feel empowered to follow through on similar activities in the future because emBOLDen Alliances staff helped us to learn best practices and not be dependent on them to do what we need to do.”
Health Access Connect Testimonial
By Kevin Gibbons, Executive Director
Health Access Connect is a small, young Ugandan nonprofit organization working to improve access to healthcare in remote areas of Uganda. Before meeting with Neena Jain and Bill Rohs of emBOLDen Alliances, we had just started implementing our project activities of conducting mobile clinics. We had struggled to write effective grant proposals, and, while we knew we had a good project and were serving people, we didn’t have a clear idea of how to collect data on our activities or how to present our work to outside donors. We met Neena and Bill while they were traveling in Uganda in March 2015.
“After working with them, we are stronger as an organization, we serve our beneficiaries better, and we are more attractive to donor agencies.”
Working with emBOLDen Alliances
The first activity with emBOLDen Alliances was to develop a strategic plan for our organization. Filling out our strategic plan took us months! EmBOLDen Alliances sent us a template and an example to start with, and we realized that our organizational objectives were not very clear, and we were not sure how we could prove our impact on our beneficiaries. Neena and Bill helped us to narrow down our objectives to ones that would serve people in the villages where we work and would be possible to collect data on.
After working through our strategic plan, we then started collecting data from our mobile clinics and our partner health facilities. EmBOLDen staff then helped us to analyze those data, adjust our objectives, and even make a map! We appreciated not only the outcomes of these activities, but we feel empowered to follow through on similar activities in the future because emBOLDen Alliances staff helped us to learn best practices and not be dependent on them to do what we need to do.
Our Favorite Things about emBOLDen Alliances
1. They have global experience that has helped us to improve our program work.
2. They helped us to focus on strategic planning to improve our impact and how we talk about our work to potential donors.
3. They know how to work within the challenges of a small budget, few staff members, and limited data availability.
4. They helped us to identify in-country and global partners to help us serve people better.
5. They encouraged us to keep working at what we were doing and helped us identify what was unique and important about our work.
6. After working with them, we are stronger as an organization, we serve our beneficiaries better, and we are more attractive to donor agencies.
Art by Bill Rohs
A photo is worth a thousand words, but what about a drawing and its story?
Click here to find Bill and his art this summer,
including TEDx Mile High on June 25.