“No matter where you practice or whatever environment you work in, you work IN Global Health.”
CU PT Students and Faculty with Nicaragua PT students and practitioners. Photo credit: Hayley Taylor.
After completing our terrific partnership with the Physical Therapy (PT) Global Health Club at the University of Colorado last year, we have three more successes in 2016 to report:
- emBOLDen Alliances’ Executive Director and the three PT Student Leaders of the Physical Therapy Global Health Club presented our initial partnership project at the American Physical Therapy Association Combined Sections Meeting in Anaheim, CA in February 2016.
- This presentation was well received and deemed unique in its content, introducing an intentionally ethics focused and practically-based curriculum to accompany community-based service.
CU PT Students working at an elementary school in Nicaragua. Photo credit: Hayley Taylor.
- emBOLDen Alliances was invited to enhance the curriculum for the PT Student Service-Learning trip to Nicaragua in August 2016.
- To the statement, “The introduction to global health lecture with emBOLDen Alliances was informative and should be continued next year,” 85% (11/13) of students “Agreed” and 16% (2/13) were “Neutral.””
- Eight of 13 students (62%) stated that the emBOLDen Alliances’ Introduction to Global Health session was one of the most valuable and/or helpful aspects of their experience.
We would like to thank Laura Martel, PT DPT and Jennifer Stevens-Lapsley, PT PhD for this opportunity and for inviting us back next year!
- emBOLDen Alliances has been selected to lead a workshop on “The Physical Therapist’s Role in Humanitarian Crises” at the 2017 American Physical Therapy Association Combined Sections Meeting in San Antonio, Texas.
One of our favorite testimonials this summer, and the theme of this reflection, came from Andrea Ledger PT DPT, a former Student Leader of the Physical Therapy Global Health Club. After attending our Introduction to Global Health session, she stated simply:
“No matter where you practice or whatever environment you work in, you work IN Global Health. Just accept it. Everyone should attend this session and learn.”
Your support makes this partnership and others like it happen, Please donate today.